Saturday, April 14, 2007

Dealing with Fear from the Bible.

I been reading the book of Psalms recently and came across Psalm 46 and after reading Psalm 46 though about it a relisised that the topic in talked about in this Psalm is fear.
Fear is something that everyone deals with in everyday situations and that there is a right and wrong way to deal with it.

The theme in Psalm 46 is that God is always there to help, providing refuge, security and peace. God’s power is complete and his ultimate victory is certain. He will not fail to rescue those who love him.

WHAT CAN I DO WHEN I AM OVERCOME WITH FEAR?

HOW DO I FIND THE STRENGTH TO GO ON?

Psalm 46:1-2. - God is our refuge and strength,
Always ready to help in times of trouble.
So we will not fear, even if earthquakes come
And the mountains crumble into the sea.

JOHN 14:27- “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn’t like the peace the world gives. So don’t be troubled or afraid.

God promises to comfort us in our fear if we seek him when we are afraid. We have the confident assurance that he is with us in any circumstance.

WHEN IS FEAR GOOD?

PSALM 2:1- Serve the LORD with reverent fear,and rejoice with trembling.

Because God is so great and mighty, and because he holds the power of life and death in his hands, we must have a healthy, reverent fear of him. A healthy fear helps us keep our perspective about where we need to be in our relationship with God.

2 CORINTHIANS 7:1- _ Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete purity because we fear God.

A healthy fear of God motivates us to strive for holiness.

DEUTERONOMY 31:7-8-Then Moses called for Joshua, and as all Israel watched he said to him, “Be strong and courageous! For you will lead these people into the land that the LORD swore to give their ancestors. You are the one who will deliver it to them as their inheritance. 8Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD is the one who goes before you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor forsake you.”

Fear can be good if it teaches us about courage. Joshua couldn’t have truly understood courage if he hadn’t experienced fear. Fear gave him courageous character and taught him to rely on and trust in God.

WHEN IS FEAR NOT GOOD?

HEBREWS 10:31-It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Fear is terrifying if we have to fall into the hands of God without having made peace with him.

GENESIS 26:7-And when the men there asked him about Rebekah, he said, “She is my sister.”
He was afraid to admit that she was his wife. He thought they would kill him to get her, because she was very beautiful.

JOSHUA 17:16-18-Then Joshua said to the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh, the descendants of Joseph, “Since you are so large and strong, you will be given more than one portion. 18The forests of the hill country will be yours as well. Clear as much of the land as you wish and live there. And I am sure you can drive out the Canaanites from the valleys, too, even though they are strong and have iron chariots.”

Fear is not good if it keeps us from doing the things we ought to do. We are not meant to live in fear.

Promise from God: Isaiah 41:10-Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.

When you are worried or afraid Remember this verse.
Use Jeremiah 29:11-13.- For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 _ In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 _ If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me. (Thanks for that verse Sammy)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hey mate, you've made some good thoughts there :) keep it up!